In real life, unlike in Shakespeare, the sweetness of the rose depends upon the name it bears. Things are not only what they are. They are, in very important respects, what they seem to be.
Semantic web enthusiasts among my readers will have encountered the “hash vs. slash” debate, perhaps most famously in the TAG's attempt to resolve the range of HTTP: URIs.
When I first started this weblog, I knew it was going to be built on top of a semantic web framework, not out of any fervent belief that it's the future, but out of the conviction that I won't be able to say whether or not I think it's the future if I don't try it out.
I also knew about the hash vs. slash debate.
While I was never entirely convinced by the arguments of the “anti-slash” camp, I decided to simply avoid the issue by using a hash. There's never been any argument about hashed URIs, only slashed ones. As a result, the identifier for me, my physical person, became:
As time passed, this had a practical consequence. If you dereferenced
that URI, the server would send you the whole “
who” file that contained
all the metadata about everyone. That file got to be
I ignored this problem as long as I could, simply living with the inconvenience, but when I decided to support “link groups” I faced a real hurdle.
The obvious URI for the “link group” about me is the URI that identifies me. But linking to the hashed URI made following the link way too expensive to be of practical value. I could have cooked up an alternate URI for the link group, but that would effectively have been an alias. Aliases: bad.
Unable to come up with a workaround I liked, I decided it was time for a big bang: I decided to change a whole lot of URIs. Instead of using a hashed URI to identify me (and everyone and everything else), I'd use a slashed one:
In order to do this, I felt I needed to implement the TAG resolution on httpRange-14. Which I've done:
The HTML at
http://norman.walsh.name/knows/who/norman-walsh.htmlincludes a link to the metadata:
1<link rel="alternate" type="application/rdf+xml" 2 title="Metadata" href="norman-walsh.rdf" />
which I hope helps semantic web software find the underlying metadata.
That metadata in turn contains
which tells the semantic web agent that this URI is entirely equivalent to the former hashed URI.
Hopefully this all “just works” in every meaningful way.