Speaking of jabber, can I have it on my phone, please?

I want you to jabber me. And I want to be able to talk to you even if I'm away from my desk. For that reason, I hope my next mobile phone supports Jabber. Until then, I'll have to keep my AOL ID too, or at least the one I use on my mobile.

Speaking of IM on a mobile: I want a GSM mobile phone with a decent keyboard. One that supports the common PIM functions and gives me open access to my data. I want decent email, Jabber IM, and a web browser that doesn't suck.

The iPhone that ain't. The Sidekick it sort of is, except for the open access to my data part and Jabber. I currently get access to my data via XML-RPC (kind of cool) using the ID of an application that's been discontinued (definitely not cool).

I wonder if any of the OpenMoko designs will include a keyboard. Or if the Helio Ocean will be open enough.

Time will tell, I guess. Until then, inertia will keep me on my Sidekick II I suppose.

Comments:

Oh, and I suppose it should work reasonably well as a phone, too. I mean, I do use it for actual, you know, phone calls every now and then.

Posted by Norman Walsh on 02 Aug 2007 @ 02:22am UTC #

You could run Jabber on a Nokia E90 (http://europe.nokia.com/A4346040) and the keyboard is supposed to be decent. What I like about my Nokia E61 is that (like the E90) is has WLAN connectivity, so you can do things like Jabber anywhere that you can find a WLAN. That's important in Europe, where you generally don't get unlimited data plans for phones, and it's also important when travelling to faraway lands where phone data access is prohibitively expensive. Cheers, Tony.

Posted by Anthony B. Coates on 02 Aug 2007 @ 07:50am UTC #

Week ago I bought HTC Vox (S710). It's relatively small (more like phone then PDA) and has keyboard similar to Sidekick.

It is running on Windows Mobile 6 so you can get almost any software for it, but usually you have to pay for it.

I use Windows on my laptop so I can use ActiveSync for synchronization, but I think that there is similar software for Linux called SynCE. But I have never used it, so I don't know how well it works.

And I like phone part of this device, it has many benefits over my previous and very old Siemens S45/ME45.

Posted by Jirka Kosek on 02 Aug 2007 @ 07:55am UTC #

Windows Mobile: not if I can avoid it.

(Overconstraining the problem, am I?)

Posted by Norman Walsh on 02 Aug 2007 @ 11:19am UTC #

I can't find a wireless provider in the US that's carrying the Nokia E6x or E90.

The Treo was on my short list back when I bought the Sidekick, but they all appear to run Windows Mobile now.

Posted by Norman Walsh on 02 Aug 2007 @ 11:32am UTC #

Verizon currently offers the Treo 700p

Posted by C G on 02 Aug 2007 @ 04:38pm UTC #

Verizon doesn't support GSM.

Posted by Norman Walsh on 02 Aug 2007 @ 04:45pm UTC #

Out of the five current Treo models, three of them run Palm OS (and one of those three, the Treo 680, is GSM).

I don't know if it has "decent email, Jabber IM, and a web browser that doesn't suck"; on my Treo 700p, I've never used email or Jabber IM. I've used the web browser a LOT, and I'm pretty happy with it. (I assume the web browser on the 680 is pretty similar to the 700p, although I don't know for sure. Despite the model numbers, the 680 is actually newer.)

Posted by Carl Witty on 03 Aug 2007 @ 04:57pm UTC #
Comments on this essay are closed. Thank you, spammers.