Get yourself a better better browser.

Mark’s right, the beta version of Firefox 3.0 is nice.

I haven't compared memory footprints, but 3.0b2 definitely feels faster. Fast enough, and stable enough, to have become my preferred browser over the past week or so.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of extensions that haven't been ported. However:

I tried one of the nightlies. They've really hacked the UI, but I'm not sure I think making it look more “Mac like” is an improvement. And whatever they've done makes cmSiteNavigation stop working, so I'm not gonna bother.

But I do recommend 3.0b2!

[Update 19 Feb 2008. Alas, b2 decided to updated itself to b3 and I lost both apps. However, the Tab Mix Plus forums lead me to a version that does seem to work in b3. The maintainer of the cmSiteNavigation Toolbar says he doesn't plan to continue maintaining it, so I guess that one's going to come down to me.]

Comments:

To suppress extension checking, go into about:config, right click anywhere in the main menu, and add a new preference named "extensions.checkCompatibility" with a value of false. That way you don't have to patch the extensions one by one.

Not saying that they'll all actually work.

Posted by John Cowan on 09 Feb 2008 @ 03:59am UTC #

The link to cmSiteNavigation Toolbar site seems to be broken. Here's a fixed one: cmSiteNavigation Toolbar.

Posted by Anonymous on 11 Feb 2008 @ 12:11pm UTC #

Okay, so does it fix the rendering bug where Firefox treats XML's empty-element syntax as a start tag?

I don't even want to TELL YOU how much XSLT I had to emit last week to keep that bug from foully murdering a new layout for a Cocoon-based application.

Posted by Dorothea Salo on 11 Feb 2008 @ 05:23pm UTC #

From a quick look at Tab Mix Plus, it seems that the main things it does, at least undo closed tags and session management, is included in Firefox 3.0 anyway, so maybe that extension isn't as important now as it was?

Posted by Rasmus Kaj on 17 Feb 2008 @ 07:52pm UTC #

The features of Tab Mix Plus that I care about most are the ability to have multiple rows of tabs and the ability to move the "close" tab button off to a single button on the right hand side.

Posted by Norman Walsh on 17 Feb 2008 @ 09:27pm UTC #

The cmSiteNavigation Toolbar bug seems to be fixed.

Posted by Tom on 22 Jun 2008 @ 11:13am UTC #

I wish someone would pick up the maintenance of cmSiteNavigation. I've found Link Widgets, which kind of replaces it, but it's just not the same.

Posted by TL on 12 Nov 2008 @ 10:00pm UTC #

It's on my list, but it's a long list.

Posted by Norman Walsh on 12 Nov 2008 @ 11:34pm UTC #
Comments on this essay are closed. Thank you, spammers.