Baffled Human? Mouse Baffle!

Volume 7, Issue 19; 31 Jan 2004; last modified 08 Oct 2010

Whenever man comes up with a better mousetrap, nature immediately comes up with a better mouse.

James Carswell

Driving home a few days ago, I had an odd experience: when I took my foot off the accelerator, my truck continued along at 40mph. I have a manual transmission, that’s not supposed to happen! Pushing in the clutch red-lined the tachometer. That’s really not supposed to happen.

Long story short, AAA towed my truck off to Pelham Auto, my local repair shop (highly recommended). There was nothing obviously wrong with the truck and they couldn’t reproduce the problem (ah, the joys of debugging).

Deb’s car has had trouble with mice getting into the air filter, so they decided to explore that angle.

The result: they found a large mouse living in my engine’s air system! He’d chewed all the way through the air filter and built a nest and a pantry in there. The best guess is that I sucked a hunk of acorn shell into the engine and temporarily jammed the throttle open.

Let’s see if we can prevent that from happening again, shall we?

Mouse Baffle
Mouse Baffle

That little baffle ought to prevent the mice from getting to the filter and consequently should allow the filter to prevent debris of all sorts, not limited to acorn shells, mouse bedding, and scat, from getting further into my truck’s engine.

Air Filter
Air Filter
Air Intake Assembly
Air Intake Assembly

With luck, nature won’t demonstrate that these mice are able and willing to chew through galvanized metal.

Comments

Hope this news story isn't related. If so, it could have been a lot worse! http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/2810821/detail.html

—Posted by Scott Hudson on 02 Feb 2004 @ 07:09 UTC #

"A little hardware cloth ought to slow them down"

So Norm... I'm a little disappointed that you didn't say *what* the cloth was designed to slow down... Acorn shells as they get sucked deeper into you engine? Mice suffering a similar fate?

It's also not clear whether you set out to provide a nice warm safe nesting environment for said mouse... or to evict it into the harsh realities of a Massacheusett (sp?) winter.

—Posted by Stuart Williams on 03 Feb 2004 @ 10:52 UTC #

Very well, I added a little clarity on that point, Stuart.

As for the mice, I'm happy to toss the little blighters back into the snow. Until they can pay the repair bills, they can stay out of my car! :-)

—Posted by Norman Walsh on 03 Feb 2004 @ 12:52 UTC #

Thanks for clearing that up.

So you took the cruel and heartless option.

Just think of the challenge you could have taken on in providing a safe mobile mouse house. Maybe with some inventive-ness with treadmills you could even have had them contributing to your fuel bills :-)

—Posted by Stuart Williams on 04 Feb 2004 @ 09:54 UTC #

I find my schedule quite full when it comes to challenges these days, Stuart, but thanks for the suggestion.

If it helps you feel better, we just discovered that the mice seem to have taken up residence in the glove box of Deb's car.

Yes, I'm going to lock them out in the cold, creul world too as soon as I figure out how.

—Posted by Norman Walsh on 04 Feb 2004 @ 01:43 UTC #

I think locking them out in the cold might involve throwing away the key... doh... no don't do that!

—Posted by Stuart Williams on 09 Feb 2004 @ 12:52 UTC #

I don't care how cute people may think they are! I sat my son in his seat last night only to find the seatbelt was 3/4 gnawed through! a hole was apparently gnawed open around the seat belt compartment; a hard plastic. I'm enraged! Can't wait to find out how much factory installation of this is gonna cost. Can anyone help with prevention advice. Thanks!

—Posted by Kelly on 12 Feb 2004 @ 01:41 UTC #

I have mice and do not know where they are coming from. Have trapped 3 already. Any suggestions on how to get the rest of them out?

—Posted by Cyndy DeStefano on 17 Feb 2004 @ 08:55 UTC #

Twice I have had to pay to get my A.C. working again after mice got into the system. I saw chewed up tissue in the car & I know I would go into the ditch if I saw a rodent in my car while driving. I put Decon under both of my vehicles. Any ideas? I HATE mice & they aren't cute on greeting cards either!

—Posted by Jean McMorris on 28 Jul 2004 @ 04:37 UTC #

I could not start my almost new car. I bought it to replace a 19 year old car because I wanted one that would start easily and will not stall. It really bugs me because I actually did not need a new car at all. Opened the hood, and found a beautiful nest. Nice and flat, well designed. The tow truck service man connected the chewed up cables so that I could drive it to the garage. I do not like driving this car any longer. I also noticed that the car seems to drive at its own speed which is faster than I normally drive. And I have switched of automatic speed control. I had the car repaired, and scope tested. The manager said that he placed some rat poison in one of the car's groves. Yet, I found that the nest I destroyed had been replaced with a new one and the so called rat poison was gone. I removed the nest, and I am thinking of the next move.
I really do not want to use poison. I noticed that a hardware store sells a re-usable door trap at CA $24, but I wonder what to do if a mouse is trapped.
What's that hardware cloth? Posted by Mari-C

—Posted by Mari-C on 11 Nov 2004 @ 06:14 UTC #

I could not start my almost new car. I bought it to replace a 19 year old car because I wanted one that would start easily and will not stall. It really bugs me because I actually did not need a new car at all. Opened the hood, and found a beautiful nest. Nice and flat, well designed. The tow truck service man connected the chewed up cables so that I could drive it to the garage. I do not like driving this car any longer. I also noticed that the car seems to drive at its own speed which is faster than I normally drive. And I have switched off automatic speed control. I had the car repaired, and scope tested. The manager said that he placed some rat poison in one of the car's groves. Yet, I found that the nest I destroyed had been replaced with a new one and the so called rat poison was gone. I removed the nest, and I am thinking of the next move.
What's that hardware cloth?

—Posted by Mari-C on 11 Nov 2004 @ 06:17 UTC #

The yellow check engine light is forever appearing on my dashboard. My Audi couldn't pass the emission test. Apparently a mouse has been making the rounds in my engine compartment and chewing up the vacuum tubes. I continue to have them repaired, but the problem persists. I have been advised to spread moth balls on the garage floor under the engine. The damage has continued. Any advice?

—Posted by Roland Chirico on 04 Feb 2007 @ 02:23 UTC #

so a frien dof min had a toyota prius that wouldnt start it turned out the mice shredded the filters and what not i thought that was strang to believe but i know we had arecord season for mice i must of cought 100 in the span of 3 wks now sommer ends end i spot a few here and there not as bad then im driving my saab whos been around for a while then as im going up hill i hear some thing get sucked up and car stalls. i got to lookin at the car a cfew days latter and was laughing when i found the air filter chewed up you see i was sure the 900 had its time and was up instead i guess payback or maybe not . so ive got to have the air hose lines cleared oh mice oh mice..

—Posted by ale on 19 Jan 2013 @ 10:44 UTC #