Summer Flowers and Metadata

Volume 7, Issue 95; 07 Jun 2004; last modified 08 Oct 2010

It’s early summer here in Massachusetts. That brings out the flowers. And my camera. These flowers photos have slightly better metadata than previous ones because I’ve spent a few days tinkering with jpegRDF.

To me the meanest flower that blows can give thoughts that do often lie too deep for tears.

William Wordsworth

It’s early summer here in Massachusetts. That brings out the flowers. Spring must have brought out some flowers too, but I don’t seem to have captured any good photographs of them.

These flowers photos have slightly better metadata than previous ones because I’ve spent a few days tinkering with jpegRDF so that it supports blank nodes (I’ve also fixed some significant bugs; upgrade to 2.2.0 or later if you’re using any of the V2 series).

With bNode support in place, I was able to add geographic metadata along the lines that Morten Frederiksen proposed. (See also the ESW Wiki page.) With the help of a GPS, I expect to start adding geographic metadata to all my images “real soon now.”

Before leaving you to the pretty pictures, let me take a moment to thank Danny Ayers for his help getting Jena 2 support into jpegRDF. Thanks, Danny! (I left his name out of the documentation credits for a couple of revisions and I was feeling bad; I feel better now.)

Centaurea
Centaurea
Standing Centaurea
Standing Centaurea

The Columbine are self-seeding themselves through the flower bed in a delightful way.

Columbine
Columbine
Wild Columbine
Wild Columbine

I hope the wild Columbine that sits near the edge of the woods spreads also.

Chipmunk Treed
Chipmunk Treed

Ok, the chipmunk isn’t a flower, but it is cute. The poor things have no road sense to speak of, unfortunately. This particular one didn’t have any tree sense either and that’s how I managed to get so close to him. (He ran up the little apple tree in our front yard to get away from the dog and then had no where to go.)

Iris
Iris

Two winters ago, we had a huge ice dam on the roof and everything took a beating when the ice slid off. The porch: smashed. The azaleas: banged up pretty bad; they haven’t really recovered. The rhododendron: mauled, but recovering.

Rhododendron Budding
Rhododendron Budding
Rhododendron Opening
Rhododendron Opening
Rhododendron Open
Rhododendron Open

Soon, the balloon flower will be ballooning.

Great Expectations
Great Expectations

Comments

Thanks for not mentioning that I broke it completely... But great to hear you've got it in shape. Oddly enough it came up in conversation earlier, Caro wants to organise our photos. Around 3500, dumped in dirs named for the date of collection. Catchy filenames like 'DSCN3548.jpg'. Probbly no exif. Any suggestions?

—Posted by Danny Ayers on 07 Jun 2004 @ 11:07 UTC #

PS. Lovely flowers!

—Posted by Danny Ayers on 07 Jun 2004 @ 11:08 UTC #

I'm struggling with the same problem. The photos on this site are all nicely annotated, but I have thousands that aren't.

I wrote jpegRDF partly to scratch that itch. I've had some success working with thumbnails (because loading the real images just takes too long). And jpegRDF lets me annotate them from the command line, so there's a possibility of actually working productively.

But it's slow going. Let me know how it goes for you.

—Posted by Norman Walsh on 07 Jun 2004 @ 11:28 UTC #

These flowers photos have slightly better metadata

They do, but not in IE (I know it's your favourite browser)

eg

has metadata and links to other pictures in moz and opera, but is just a jpg, with apparently no surrounding html at all in IE (6 SP1 W2000). Content negotiation bites again?

—Posted by David Carlisle on 08 Jun 2004 @ 09:22 UTC #

Bleh. Ok. No more content negotiation for images. I've fixed this page (and future pages) but not (yet) all past pages.

You know, I was just happy when IE could display the images. Sigh.

—Posted by Norman Walsh on 08 Jun 2004 @ 02:07 UTC #

Blank node support, excellent!

I played with jpegRDF a while ago thinking about adding metadata on individual pixels. Uses might include adding lat/longs to individual points in panoramic or aerial photos, e.g., so a "projection" can be approximated, or adding catalog numbers of stars in astronomical images.

Blank nodes related by "pixelOf" and with pixelX and Y properties is what I had in mind. Anybody doing this sort of thing or have other thoughts?

—Posted by Ed Davies on 08 Jun 2004 @ 04:46 UTC #

Ed, marking up photos with information about points and regions etc. is something we discuss a lot, and there's lots of tools out there. see http://esw.w3.org/topic/ImageDescription and http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/events/200406-img/

—Posted by Jim Ley on 10 Jun 2004 @ 11:42 UTC #