Photo Feed

Volume 7, Issue 151; 25 Aug 2004; last modified 08 Oct 2010

Only care about the pictures? Now you can subscribe to them.

Most things in life are moments of pleasure and a lifetime of embarrassment; photography is a moment of embarrassment and a lifetime of pleasure.

Tony Benn

Yesterday, Danny Ayers asked if there was a feed on this site that provided a list of all the photographs and images.

Yesterday, the answer was “no.” Today, it’s “yes”. I’m only providing an Atom feed, which is arguably wrong but, uhm, that’s the way the cookie crumbles. At least today.

Have fun, Danny!

Comments

Thanks Norm!

Golly, that was a quick turnaround. Hmm, wonder if I could somehow sneak my to-do list inside yours...

—Posted by Danny Ayers on 26 Aug 2004 @ 08:50 UTC #

PS. I'm pleased you've done it in Atom - the photo-grabber code I've been playing with should be able to pick this up without much work, but until today I had nothing to try it on. So thanks again.

—Posted by Danny Ayers on 26 Aug 2004 @ 08:55 UTC #

It's just Benchley's law in action: anyone can do any amount of work provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at the moment.

—Posted by Norman Walsh on 26 Aug 2004 @ 11:48 UTC #

A very late comment (sorry) but I wondered if you could embed your category metadata in the Atom feed? That'd be useful for 'category-aware' consumers.

—Posted by Steve Cayzer on 20 Dec 2004 @ 04:57 UTC #

It's never too late for comments. The category information is already in the Atom feeds. Each entry has dc:subject elements with the categories. I'm not sure that's the best markup, but it seemed appropriate at the time.

If there are better choices (I haven't looked at Atom in a couple of months), let me know.

—Posted by Norman Walsh on 20 Dec 2004 @ 07:05 UTC #

oops sorry I didn't see the dc:subject tags (a lot of photos don't have categories, so I assumed none of them did). Yup, dc:subject seems as good a choice as any.

—Posted by Steve Cayzer on 21 Dec 2004 @ 09:44 UTC #

Improving the metadata on photographs is a background task that I hope to get to eventually. I'd like to get foaf:depicts and dc:subject tags in all of them.

—Posted by Norman Walsh on 21 Dec 2004 @ 12:36 UTC #