Geocaching with decimal degrees

Volume 8, Issue 124; 27 Sep 2005; last modified 08 Oct 2010

My first GreaseMonkey script provides decimal degrees for cache locations. [Update: now to five decimal places.]

The cache pages at geocaching.com provide latitudes and longitudes in degrees and minutes (e.g., “N 42° 17.853”). I find that I often want to convert those coordinates into decimal degrees (e.g., “42.2975”) to plot them together on maps, to calculate distances between them, etc. I did it by hand a number of times before I discovered that the easiest way is to peek into the mapping URIs further down on the cache page.

But that's still a little bit inconvenient, and isn't this exactly what Greasemonkey is for?

Given that I've started to feel a little left out as I haven't written any fancy DHTML interfaces or jumped on the Ajax bandwagon to write the all-singing, all-dancing interactive DocBook web site, I thought that writing some Greasemonkey code would make me feel a little more relevant.

I was right. And now I have a script that adds decimal degrees to the pages in question. See?

It's probably embarrassingly bad JavaScript coding, but that's what you get for a lunch break exercise at a working group meeting. Improvements accepted.

[Update 1 May 2006: Carl's right, four decimal places wasn't really enough. I've updated the script to provide five, padded with zeros if necessary.]

Comments

installed! nice!

—Posted by Paul Downey on 27 Sep 2005 @ 08:47 UTC #

Nice work, but a nitpick: your web server isn't saying what character set the script is in. The degree symbols are messed up in my browser.

(fortunately they're only in comments, but I said it was a nitpick!)

—Posted by Brendan Taylor on 04 Oct 2005 @ 09:56 UTC #

Nice catch, Brendan. Fixed.

—Posted by Norman Walsh on 05 Oct 2005 @ 01:03 UTC #

Great idea! Can you tweak the script to make it 5 decimal places rather than 4? Four decimal places (10,000ths of degrees) is grainier than DD MM.MMM format (60,000ths of degrees).

—Posted by Carl on 29 Apr 2006 @ 02:34 UTC #

Thanks, Norman! Five digits and trailing zeroes are great additions.

—Posted by Carl on 01 May 2006 @ 02:11 UTC #
Thanks for your script. I've changed the end of it so that it displays a link to a Google map centered on the location:
	  declatlong = "Decimal degrees: " + lat + ", " + lng + " ";

navbar.parentNode.insertBefore(link, navbar.nextSibling);
    }
    navbar.parentNode.insertBefore(text, navbar.nextSibling);
    navbar.parentNode.insertBefore(br, navbar.nextSibling);
}
—Posted by Daniel Griscom on 02 Jan 2007 @ 05:21 UTC #

With all the updates to gc.com & Firefox, this has stopped working. Any updates planned? I loved this script! Thanks in advance.

—Posted by blugill on 18 Feb 2009 @ 03:58 UTC #

It still seems to work for me. What page were you on where it didn't work?

—Posted by Norman Walsh on 20 Feb 2009 @ 03:44 UTC #