DocBook Swag

Volume 9, Issue 51; 26 May 2006; last modified 08 Oct 2010

Wear your heartduck on your sleeve. Or something. Marketing. Yeah, that's the ticket! [Update: More swag.]

DocBook T-ShirtWhen DocBook: The Definitive Guide was first published, I asked O'Reilly to do up some T-shirts for it, but I couldn't make it happen.

I developed a renewed interest in getting some T-shirts made up a while back (I don't recall exactly why just at the moment), so I asked O'Reilly for permission to use the duck woodcut myself. Delighted by their approval, I, uh, apparently did nothing for about 18 months.

But I've finally gotten around to doing it. The results are online at DocBook Swag on Cafe Press.

“I ♥ DocBook” buttonAt the moment, I'm using Cafe Press's free services so there's a limit of one design per item. That means you can get the white T-shirt with one design and the gray T-shirt with another, but you can't get the gray design on the white shirt.

I added a buck to the shirt prices. If the shop averages five bucks a month, I'll upgrade to the “premium” service and make all the designs available on all the shirts.

Design suggestions and product requests are welcome, but no promises on turnaround time.

[Update 6 June 2006: I've pulled together a few more items since this essay was published. There are a few more shirts now, plus stickers, magnets, and mugs. Fitting the DocBook design elements into the templates is a pleasantly relaxing diversion.]

Comments

I've been pretty much waiting for this since my very first DocBook document. :)

—Posted by Saeed Jahed on 26 May 2006 @ 08:25 UTC #

Since caffeine consumption is a staple of technical writers, I'd like to request coffee mugs be added to the product list!

I think mouse pads would also be an essential!

Thanks, Norm!

—Posted by Scott Hudson on 26 May 2006 @ 08:54 UTC #

I heart DuckBook, er DocBook!

—Posted by Scott Hudson on 26 May 2006 @ 08:55 UTC #

DocBook T-shirt design suggestion: what about

Pernicious Mixed Content

Not quite as biting as T-Shirt Hell, but... ;)

—Posted by Kirk Zurell on 26 May 2006 @ 08:58 UTC #

Great idea. I already spent 55$ and I hope that all stuff will arrive before my DocBook 5.0 presentation at XML Prague.

—Posted by Jirka Kosek on 28 May 2006 @ 07:32 UTC #

Mugs and mousepads, Scott. No progress on the other suggestions.

BTW, I haven't seen the actual mug or mousepad products, so please report back if the designs work on the real objects.

—Posted by Norman Walsh on 29 May 2006 @ 06:49 UTC #

Cool! I already put the bumper sticker on my Storm Chasing truck, and wore the T-shirt to work yesterday. Now I'll save up and get the big mug and mouse pad... Thanks, Norm!

—Posted by Scott Hudson on 06 Jun 2006 @ 07:04 UTC #

Swag story: I bought a shirt and a bunch of buttons to hand out to the O'Reilly Production Department as we send our first book typset using customizations to the Docbook XSL Stylesheets and FO to the printer tomorrow. Thanks for all your work.

—Posted by Keith Fahlgren on 06 Jun 2006 @ 08:03 UTC #

Hi Norman,

I would appreciate it if you could get back to me about this:

—Posted by pabs on 14 Jul 2006 @ 05:24 UTC #

As soon as I decide what I think the right answer is, pabs...

—Posted by Norman Walsh on 18 Jul 2006 @ 04:41 UTC #