Firefox 2.0

Volume 9, Issue 112; 08 Nov 2006; last modified 08 Oct 2010

A little late to the party, I know, but all my “must have” extensions are finally available for Firefox 2.0.

When Firefox 2.0 was first announced, several of my “must have” extensions weren't available for it, so I didn't bother to upgrade. Actually, Ubuntu upgraded for me, but I grabbed an old 1.5.x installer and started using that.

I decided to check again this morning. Happily, it seems that all but two of the extensions I use routinely are now “2.0 ready” so I've made the switch.

For what it's worth, I consider the following extensions mandatory:

Adblock Plus

Get your advertising out of my face.

cmSiteNavigation Toolbar

Make link elements useful.

del.icio.us

Quicker bookmarking.

FireBug

I forget, how did we used to debug client-side scripts before FireBug?

Flashblock

Get your animated advertising out of my face.

Greasemonkey

User scripts, baby. Your page my way.

Mozex

Edit textareas with Emacs like god intended. More generally, extend the tools that Firefox uses for a bunch of things.

ScrapBook

Squirrel away those pages you want to keep.

SwitchProxy Tool

This proxy, that proxy, which proxy do I need today? Sometimes I use this to switch between my local proxy and the corporate proxy I have to use when VPN is up. But mostly, I just have my vpn script reconfigure wwwoffle for me automatically.

Tab Mix Plus

Configure the behavior of one of Firefox's indispensable features: tabs.

View Source Chart

Pretty print your view source. I sent Jennifer $3, have you?

Web Developer

Web developer tools.

The SwitchProxy Tool and Mozex extensions are the two that don't yet claim to support Firefox 2.0. But I hacked the install.rdf file in each and they both seem to work just fine.

In the course of finding the latest versions of these extensions, I found a few more that I'm taking for a test drive. These seem like they might make the cut:

Download Statusbar

Inobtrusive download progress.

Forecastfox

Local weather.

GetVideo

Yes, sometimes YouTube gets my attention, but that doesn't mean I want to watch it in my browser.

Map+

Shortcuts to street maps.

What extensions are on your “must have” list?

Comments

AutoCopy (selected text goes to the clipboard) and IETab (open any tab using embedded IE with one click; if you want, specified URLs will always open in IE) are essential on Windows.

I really like Linkification, which makes anything that looks like an URL or an email address into a link (you can turn it off with one click if it clutters the page too much).

Forecastfox rapidly became indispensable not only to me but to the non-geek household members. No more waiting for the Weather Channel to get around to it, or clicking some bookmark to NOAA or a commercial service.

Mimulus lets you edit'n'save any web page; you'll need to hack the RDF to let it run on FF 2.0.

In haste: more later.

—Posted by John Cowan on 08 Nov 2006 @ 06:23 UTC #

Instead of hacking install.rdf, you might try Nightly Test Tools 'Make All Compatible' function. It's saved me some time, especially on minor version changes.

—Posted by Brett on 08 Nov 2006 @ 06:25 UTC #

My "must-have" extensions include:
Adblock
ChatZilla
del.icio.us
DownThemAll!
ForecastFox
GoogleBrowserSync
IETab
Web Developer
X-Ray

Thanks for the tip about Flashblock. Those things always annoy me, and I couldn't figure out how to get rid of them, and Adblock didn't work either for those!

I'll also give cmSiteNavigation a try!

—Posted by Scott Hudson on 08 Nov 2006 @ 08:42 UTC #

LiveHTTPHeaders. It's the only way to work if you need to figure out something like cookie traffic between your browser and the server.

—Posted by Juri Pakaste on 09 Nov 2006 @ 06:43 UTC #

An even better option than hacking the install.rdf or using the Nightly Tester Tools to automatically hack all of your extensions, you can go into about:config and add a new boolean value of "extensions.checkCompatibility" (set to false)

This has the benefit of not only allowing you to install/use extensions not designed for 2.0, but it marks those extensions as not compatible. I wish I had known about this before I did the Nightly Tester Tool trick because now I have a bunch of extensions, and I'm not sure which ones are still not "compatible"

As for my list of extensions... (I have a lot) A9 SiteInfo, Adblock Plus, All-in-One Sidebar, Attention Recorder, CookieSwap, del.icio.us, FireBug, Forcastfox, foxyTunes, GMarks, Google Bookmarks Button, Google Browser Sync, Google Notebook, Greasemonkey, Image Zoom, Life-of-request info, Mozilla XForms, Performancing, Poster, Restart Firefox, Server Switcher, Stop-or-Reload Button, Update Notifier, and Web Developer

—Posted by Daniel E. Renfer on 09 Nov 2006 @ 10:32 UTC #

LiveHttpHeaders, as recommended before.

DocumentMap (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/475/), for displaying the h* structure of HTML documents, essentially providing a nice TOC.

LinkWidgets (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2933), an alternative to cmSiteNavigation Toolbar, but taking less screen estate.

—Posted by Julian Reschke on 11 Nov 2006 @ 09:19 UTC #

A few more, as promised:

Gcache and Wayback to let me follow broken links through the Google cache and the Wayback Machine respectively.

User Agent Switcher, for fooling stupid sites (though I more often use IEtab these days).

TinyURL Creator provides a nice interface to the TinyURL service.

All of these except User Agent Switcher require the about:config trick.

—Posted by John Cowan on 14 Nov 2006 @ 07:23 UTC #

You forgot TinyMenu, Fission and FilterSet G. Updater (For AdBlock)

—Posted by Eric Woodruff on 18 Jan 2007 @ 07:43 UTC #